Your assignments will require you to find specific pieces of information about a company!
Each section of this course guide is designed to show you where and how to find information
for your marketing project!
OBTAINING COMPANY INFORMATION
Below, you will see step-by-step instructions on how to find:
⇒If you want a good overview of a company, find the company profile!
⇒What is a company profile? It's is a report that compiles important pieces of information about a company. These profiles often include:
a list of top officers ex: CEO and CFO
brands or product lists
If you DO choose to use a private company, try these strategies:
Step-by-step instructions for Business Source Premier
1. Link to Business Source Premier (database) .
2. Click on "Company Profiles" at top of search page in Business Source Premier.
3. Then search for the company name in the "Browse" search box.
4. Find and select the company you are searching form and click on its "MarketLine Report" - this will give you the company profile you are looking for!
1. Go to Lexis Uni
2. Find the "Search by Content Type" dropdown menu above the search box
3. In that dropdown menu, find the COMPANIES category and select "Dossier"
4. Search for a company name or ticker symbol
5. You will need to select the correct result for your use
6. On the company's Snapshot screen, find the link to "financial information" in the left navigation area
EDGAR Company Search (Securities & Exchange Commission)
EDGAR provides access to all reports for public companies.
Public companies must report many aspects of their businesses through a variety of reports to the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC).
1. Go to EDGAR and search for company name or ticker symbol
2. Search for the company name and select the correct company
3. Then look at reports, especially 10K, 10Q, and 8K reports
1. Go to LexisUni.
2. In LexisUni, find the "Search by Content Type" dropdown menu above the search box.
3.Then in that dropdown menu, find the COMPANIES category and select "Dossier".
4. Search for a company name or ticker symbol.
5. You may receive more than result and will need to select the correct one for your use.
6. A "Snapshot" for the company is displayed, that provides company description, financials, stock information, corporate leaders, and more.
7. Use the links in the left navigation bar to get even more information about the company.
Finding News Business Source Premier
1. At top of search page, click on "Company Profiles" and search for the companies.
2. Find your company and click the company name.
3. On the left side of the page, find "Related Information" (see image)
Here you can see what has been written about the company in:
►Academic Journals (peer-reviewed)
You can also find reports on the company and its products:
► Analysis Industry Profiles
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Link to ABI INFORM
2. In the ABI INFORM search box, enter the company name and search for it.
3. On the results screen, go to the right navigation area to find "Company/Organization" and select the correct company to include in your search. This will help focus your results.
4. The articles about the company will probably be in "relevance" order. To see the list with the most recent articles at the top, go to the top of the right navigation area, and change "Relevance" and sort the results by "Date (most recent first)."
Karl E. Mundt Library, Dakota State University, Madison, South Dakota 57042