Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Websites that provide company data
Fortune magazine publishes annually the "Fortune 500" (usually in April or May) and "Global 500" issue (usually published in July). For each company, provides profits, rank by profits, and more. After selecting the current year's list, use the year selection drop-down menu at the top of the list to get data for earlier years. Click on the company name to get more company information and data.
Top 500 Companies in Africa
This list of top African companies appears in Africa Report and provides rank in two successive years, company name, country, sector, turnover, and net profits. If a table like this does not provide all the types of variables you need for your assignment, consider how you could add more. For example, you could look up the country in which each of these companies is located and add country variables (population? economic data?) for each company by using country data sources.
Useful Data Sets
"This page provides information on how to collect data from a variety of sources. it also allows you to look at and download a number of data sets that you might find useful in corporate finance and valuation." Provided by Aswath Damodaran, Professor of Finance at the Stern School of Business at New York University.
Research databases that provide company data
In addition to providing business magazine and journal articles, some research databases also provide methods for gathering data and comparing companies and industries.
Indexes and provides complete text of articles and other publications related to U.S. law, business, and news. Use the "Search by Content Type" dropdown menu above the search box to select the type of information you need. LexisNexis is recommended for legal research, because it provides judicial (court cases), statutory (legislative), and administrative (rules and regulations) law as well as law reviews. LexisNexis also provides company profiles and other business information useful in business research.
How to compile company data in LexisUni:
- When you login to LexisUni, click "Menu" in the upper left-hand corner near the LexisUni logo
- Select "Company Dossiers"
- Click "Create a company list" on the left-hand side of the screen
- In the top section of the form, switch the company type to "all public" companies.
- In the lower section of the form, use the Geography filter to select United States and then select a few states to get enough companies for your data assignment.
- Click "create."
- On "your company list - preview", check to make sure you have enough companies. Then click the button to the right labeled "Next - customize list."
- Customize your company list by selecting the items that will be your variables.
- On the "your company list - results" window, click to "download selected items"
- Download Excel spreadsheet.
MarketLine Advantage provides company, industry, financial and country business data, for major marketplaces in the world. For example, searching for a company name such as "Coca Cola" will retrieve recent "Soft Drink" industry profiles (analytical reports), company profiles (analytical reports) of Coca Cola companies, case studies, company news, and financial deals. Company reports include SWOT analyses and industry reports include Five Forces analyses.
Be sure to check out MarketLine's Industry Profiles and Industry Case Studies.
MarketLine also offers great data on Country Profiles.
Karl E. Mundt Library, Dakota State University, Madison, South Dakota 57042