The North American Industrial Classification System (NAICS) is s classification system designed by the U.S. federal government to help make data and statistics about U.S. industries more reliable. Companies select the industry code or codes that best describe what they do, and data about the company gets slotted into the correct industrial category.
Why are these tools useful?
The name of the industry can give you clues to words you can use in searches for industry information, and the NAICS code can also be used to search for the industry information in some research databases.
1. Explore the NAICS classification on the U.S. Census Bureau website.
2. On the left side of the NAICS page, find "Downloads/Reference Files/Tools" and below it click on the "2012 NAICS" or "2017 NAICS"
4. Click on an industry link to explore the hierarchy of NAICS codes for that industry.
1. Go to the Census Bureau's page for "Industry Snapshots."
2. On that page, find the "NAICS search" search box at the top right side.
3. Search using words that describe the industry. Results will show the NAICS codes.
Karl E. Mundt Library, Dakota State University, Madison, South Dakota 57042